March 23, 2017
Ascensus College Savings is the leading provider of program management and administrative services in the 529 College Savings industry, and is currently serving 3.5 million accounts with over $70 billion in assets under administration. We have an unique opportunity for a professional who is willing to take their recently acquired MBA and advance their career to an executive level. This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer for the College Savings division, and is responsible for supporting the COO in managing all day-to-day operations of the business. This includes delivering on the annual operating plan to achieve company objectives; supporting and managing the overall budget for operations; vendor contracting and oversight; technology governance; and long-range strategic planning.
This highly visible role has direct involvement in the implementation of key decisions and must be able to communicate with all areas of the company, including members of the senior leadership team. The ability to apply critical thinking and analysis in support of maintaining superior operational performance is a core requirement of the role, particularly in a rapidly growing environment.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
• Support COO in managing the internal operations of the College Savings business; devise strategies and formulate policies to ensure that operating goals and objectives of the organization are met.
• Under the direction of the COO, manage the aggregate budget for operations, supporting operational leaders on their individual cost center needs and goals.
• Support operational managers on organizational planning and annual staffing plans, as well as the allocation of critical resources against strategic objectives.
• Identification, evaluation, and prioritization of potential IT investments in ways that drive business value.
• Lead or support the successful negotiation of vendor contracts for critical outsourced functions of the business.
• Partner with and build relationships among key stakeholders, including technology, client services, investment operations, finance, business development, legal, compliance, relationship management and marketing colleagues.
• Build presentation decks in support of strategic initiatives, including the creation and maintenance of an annual product roadmap for the proprietary 529 College Savings platform.
• Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks etc.
• Identify, track, and monitor key performance metrics and recommend operational changes to improve performance.
• Work with Risk Management team to track internal or vendor incidents impacting business performance, and track to resolution.
• Responsible for protecting, securing, and proper handling of all confidential data held by Ascensus to ensure against unauthorized access, improper transmission, and/or unapproved disclosure of information that could result in harm to Ascensus or our clients.
• The I-Client philosophy and the Core Values of People Matter, Quality First and Integrity Always® should be visible in your actions on a day to day basis showing your support of our organizational culture
Experience, Skills, Knowledge Requirements:
• Bachelor’s and MBA (or relevant advanced degree) required.
• 8- 10 years’ experience in financial services industry with 10 + years’ experience in operations management roles
• Proven leadership experience, with solid decision making skills
• Experience building presentation decks for clients and executive management
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the legislative/regulatory environment in the financial industry
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be able to build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of internal and external counterparts
• Ability to negotiate and experience influencing senior stakeholders
• Ability to assimilate to new experiences, learn quickly and absorb a steep growth curve
• Must be results oriented and move fast to meet client needs
• Some travel may be necessary as business need arises
• FINRA Series 6 or 7 and Series 24 or 26 licenses preferred
Ascensus is a place to have a career, not just a job. As the largest US independent retirement and college savings services provider, we put our focus on people. Our culture is guided by sound principles, is committed to high standards, operates with transparency, and welcomes diversity. When you join our team, you get to go to work every day knowing that you help over 6 million Americans save for retirement and college.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V.